WordPress Visual Composer, EventsPlus plugin and a.poplight[href^=#] syntax err

Today I came across a weird bug on a client’s wordpress site that broke Visual Composer. The Javascript console was reporting a a.poplight[href^=#] syntax err which seemed to indicate that popups were not working. Indeed, there was a section of the page with tabs that showed no content under the tabs. After a bit of googling, […]

Leap Second on 6/30/2015 Caused mysqld Process To Consume CPU

This morning I got a notification that mysqld was consuming on average 35% of the CPU on one my servers. This was strange because this particular server doesn’t even use MySQL regularly. It’s there only to serve a rarely used legacy table. A quick look with “show processlist” confirmed that there were no queries running. […]

Extract TTF Font From Mac Font Suitcase

I recently needed to extract a TTF version of a Mac font suitcase and after trying a bunch of different methods, I found a tool called Resource Finagler.app. It is available from this page on StackOverflow: Using OS 9 resource fork fonts in CSS Basically, you open the font suitcase, find the sfnt part, and […]

Datatables in a Colorbox iframe with Selected Row Returned to Parent Window

I recently created a form where one of the questions was asking for a specific code (specifically, a NAICS code). The problem was that there are almost 20,000 codes to choose from, so it was not practical to use a pulldown. I hit upon the idea of using the wonderful Datatables table plugin for jQuery. […]

Apple Mail – Archive IMAP Emails

I get about 3000 emails a month (a lot of them are server notifications if you are wondering) and I like to keep all my email because I do frequently refer to older emails. I think of my emails as a database that I can search for conversations, attachments and personal history. Gmail is a […]

Suppress Test::More Output For Use In Nagios

I needed a quick way to check for XML well-formedness in a Perl Nagios script and I found that Test::XML has a test called is_well_formed_xml($xml) that does the job nicely. The only problem was that as part of the Test::More framework, Test::XML outputs test results (as it should). In my case though, I just wanted […]