A short blurb on using sfGuardPlugin credentials

(Here are a few notes I made to myself about the credential system.) Credentials are part of the sfGuardPlugin security system for Symfony. For some reason, Symfony also refers to credentials as permissions. As far as I can tell, the two terms are used interchangeably. sfGuardUser records are stored in the sf_guard_user table. The tables […]

Meta refresh in Symfony – use view.yml

The easiest way I’ve found to add meta refresh to a specific action in Symfony is to use the view.yml file. Note that I use http_metas, not regular metas. indexSuccess: http_metas: refresh: 300 which results in adding the following, as you would expect: <meta http-equiv=”Refresh” content=”300″ />

U.P. 844 videos for April 20, 2009, Sacramento to Oakland

Newcastle Tunnel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z3Nd3CmJso Yolo Causeway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8LZDA5fUUw Davis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFcB4gPwLEg Elmira Junction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLiMwnFIgqY Martinez: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysC4fZALNVg Richmond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXd71-Sr9pc Emeryville: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFSD7cMUVm0

When Memes Collide – Apple is Expensive vs. Windows is Vulnerable

I always get a kick when the Apple is Expensive meme trotted out as a reason to consider less expensive alternatives. How ironic it is that on the very same day there is news of massive computer infiltration and document loss. The article doesn’t mention the operating system of the computers that were compromised, but […]

A look in the mirror – Safari 4

I just installed Safari 4 and the first thing it did was to show me my top sites – the 12 sites that I go to most frequently. My initial reaction was “Weird!” and then “I need to get out more often!” Here is a fuzzy pic of what I saw: Download is available at […]

San Francisco: Much Sun, Little Rain

San Francisco is known for it’s fog, not it’s sunshine, but that’s mostly in the summer months, mid June to the end of August. Right now in January it should be raining, but we have gotten precious little rain this January. As evidence I present you with my solar panel production, which shows a remarkably […]

For-Profit Do-Gooders

Economist magazine has a great article on for-profit activism and mentions both 1BOG.org and Virgance. 1BOG helped me get a solar panel system last year and I’m am still delighted with how well the whole process went. Thank you again 1BOG and congrats to you and Virgance!

Switching From Halogen to LED Lamps

Jeremiah Owyang switched out a high wattage halogen lamp with an LED version that is only 3W. The LED bulb is expensive, but it will save much more over its life. Just another example of how to use less energy withiout sacrificing quality of life.

The Model 271

I’m always interested one term can mean different things – polysemy – and now we have the Model 271 in the news. The Model 271 is the type of shoe that was thrown at our President as a sign of disrespect of him and of our country. Interestingly, the Model 271 is also: A baseball […]